All customers, including children and infants under the age of 12, are required to personally submit their visa application on their scheduled appointment date.
If you are unsure whether a visa is necessary for your travel to Bulgaria, please visit our website at http://bulgarianembassy-london.org/consular-services/visas/ for more information.
Applicants who plan to visit and stay with family or friends residing in Bulgaria must apply for a Visitor Family/Friend visa.
To be eligible to submit a Bulgaria visa application, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a valid travel document and a valid UK residence permit. If the applicant holds a short-stay visa for the UK (C-type visa), they must apply for a visa from their country of residence.
- Apply for a short-term visa to Bulgaria for purposes such as tourism (including minors), private visits, business, study/conference/seminar, EEA/EU and Swiss national family members, or other short-stay purposes.
For answers to frequently asked questions, please visit the following link: https://www.mfa.bg/en/services-travel/consular-services/faq
The following list of documents is not exhaustive, and the Mission may request additional information or documents if necessary.
Both the standard and supporting documentation must be recent, no older than 1 month.
Applicants must bring and present their original documents, but only need to submit photocopies unless otherwise specified.
Documents to be submitted with the visa application:
- Application form & Photograph: The visa application form must be fully completed in English and signed in two places by the applicant (field no 37 and last field). One recent color passport photograph must also be included. (Download Visa Application Form)
- For Minors under the age of 18: Signatures from both parents/guardians are required. Family members of European Union citizens must fill in the fields of the visa application form that indicate their family relationship.
- Original Passport: The passport must be valid for at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Republic of Bulgaria, or in the case of multiple visits, after the last scheduled date of departure. The passport must contain at least two empty pages and must have been issued within the previous 10 years.
- Photocopies: Photocopies of the data pages of the passport and any current and previous expired visas.
- Valid UK Residence Permit: Proof of UK residence, either endorsed in the passport or issued as a Biometrics card, valid for at least 1 month upon return to the UK. C type visitor visas are not acceptable.
- Proof of employment/Proof of student status (Original): A recent, official, and signed letter from the employer, including the name, position of the signatory, date of issue, address, recent telephone number, and registration number in the United Kingdom. Pay slips for the last 3 months must also be provided.
If you are self-employed, you will need to provide the following documents:
- A recent letter from your accountant, banker, or solicitor. This letter should be on official letterhead and include the following information: your name, the date of issue, your address, a recent telephone number, the position of the signatory, and the registration number in the United Kingdom. This letter should confirm your self-employment or business ownership in the United Kingdom.
- A letter from the tax authorities confirming your self-employment status.
If you are a student, you will need to provide the following documents:
An original, recent, official, and signed letter from a school, college, or university in the United Kingdom. This letter should include the date of issue, your name, the type of studies you are pursuing, the number of lessons (hours) per week, and your attendance record.
Proof of sufficient funds, which includes three months’ worth of bank statements. You must possess the required financial resources for subsistence, amounting to at least EUR 50 per day of your stay. This can be in the form of a bank statement or its equivalent in another convertible currency, but it must be at least EUR 500 or its equivalent.
Travel medical insurance that is valid for Bulgaria and all EU member states for the entire duration of your trip. This insurance should cover all costs for repatriation, urgent medical care, and emergency hospital treatment during your stay. The minimum coverage should be EUR 30,000.
If you are traveling for private purposes, such as visiting family or friends, you will need to provide the following documents:
- An invitation-declaration from your host. This document should be drawn up on a sample form, legalized by a notary judge, and approved by the authorities for administrative control of foreigners (Migration Directorate of the Ministry of Interior).
- If you are a family member (spouse or child) of a Bulgarian citizen:
- Proof of relation: marriage/birth certificate
- Copy of the Bulgarian citizen’s passport
- If the Bulgarian citizen is providing their own property as accommodation, a signed and dated invitation letter from the Bulgarian citizen must be presented. The invitation letter should include full details such as name, contact information, and duration of stay.
- If the accommodation is provided by relatives or friends in Bulgaria, a certified invitation from the host must be presented (refer to p. A for the invitation form).
For minors (children below 18 years), the following additional documents are required:
- Declaration of Consent for Minor children signed by both parents.
- Original and copy of both parents’ passports.
- OR A power of attorney or court order indicating custody, in case one of the parents is not present.
- Original and copy of the child’s birth certificate (along with a certified translation).
Holders of service and diplomatic passports are exempt from providing proof of subsistence, accommodation, transportation, and insurance policy.
Please note: Upon entry into Bulgaria, foreign nationals must declare in writing the purpose of their stay and the address where they will reside. They are required to fill in a registration form for this purpose. However, citizens of the European Union member-states and countries in the Economic European Area are exempt from this requirement.
Furthermore, all foreign visitors should be aware that according to Bulgarian Law, they must contact the local police station within 48 hours of their arrival in Bulgaria and provide written information about their address of stay. If they are staying in a hotel or private lodgings, the hotel management or host is responsible for registering them at the local police station.
Please submit one current color portrait of yourself that is no older than six months that satisfies the conditions listed below:
- Captured on a light background (white or off-white) to make features stand out and contrast with the background.
- Face-focused and of high clarity
- Full face: no grinning, no sunglasses, no hats or other head coverings, unless the applicant is wearing them due to his or her ethnicity or religion.
- Printed from a camera print on standard photographic paper.
- The photo that is adhered to the visa application form
The visa application will be deemed incomplete if the submitted photos don’t fulfill these specifications (see examples here), and the applicant will be asked to take fresh pictures in the photo booth at the visa application center.
Please download the Visa Application Form. The completed application form must be signed and submitted, accompanied by one recent photograph.
Visa applications can be submitted up to 3 months prior to your departure date.
Please note that the minimum processing time for a visa application is 15 calendar days.
Every application must receive clearance from the Bulgarian Foreign Ministry in Sofia. If an application is submitted less than 15 calendar days before your travel date, we cannot guarantee a timely completion of the visa process.
To ensure a smooth and efficient process, we recommend the following for all customers:
- Book your appointment as soon as you know your travel plans.
2. Ensure that your visa application documentation meets the requirements set by the Mission.
3. Allow sufficient processing time for the Mission to review your application.
4. Take into consideration that closures and holidays of Mission may extend the processing time of your visa application.
If you are submitting your visa application at our satellite centers in Manchester, Cardiff, or Edinburgh, please add an additional 2 days to the minimum processing time. This is because your application will first be dispatched to the London office, and then forwarded to the Mission in London the following day.
During the visa application process, the Mission may request additional information or documents, or even invite applicants for an interview. Please be aware that these requests may cause delays in the visa process, and applicants are responsible for any resulting delays.
You may access and download all the relevant forms from this location.
Sample Visa Form Word: Sample vis -Schengen-WORD.docx
Sample Visa Form PDF: Sample vis -Schengen-WORD.pdf
Online Application form: Visa Application Form
Checklist: Visit Checklist.pdf
To proceed with your visa application, please fill out the attached sample form (PDF, Word) completely. If you are unsure about any information, leave it blank. Once you have completed the form, please return it to us along with your passport, BRP card/UK residency, and copies of any previous Schengen visas that you have held.
Please forward the documents through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A consultation call will be scheduled after we have received this information to further discuss the application.
After sending the documents you can call us at +442035001580.
We strictly follow the GDPR Policy, your documents will be handled/saved & deleted accordingly.